So here it is, Mortal Kombat 9.
What can we assume from this trailer?
1. They’re out for shock value. Kung Lao getting ready to razor Sub-Zero in the testicles is just more unsettling than anything else.
2. Tag team fighting. It’s present about halfway in with some very fast tagging going on.
3. Classic 2D gameplay is back, but the graphics are fully 3D. Think Street Fighter 4.
4. Johnny Cage, Kung Lao, Mileena, Nightwolf, Raiden, Reptile, Sektor, Shao Kahn, and Sub-Zero are confirmed.
5. Looks like we’re back to single fighting styles, and weapons are special moves again.
6. Stages are definitely themed after retro locations from the earliest games.
7. The ability to see inside of an opponent’s body (their skeleton) is visible, but it’s not known yet when this actually occurs during gameplay.
8. Characters who appear in the background: Kira, Shang Tsung, and a female character who is either Jade or Kitana.
Ed Boon stated about a year ago that he wanted to keep returning characters to a minimum, so aside from a few characters not present in this trailer, I believe that this will be it for returners, personally. I’m hoping to see a slew of new characters present so that a new “generation” of MK combatants can replace the mass of unpopular characters in the MK universe.
Interestingly enough, no sign of MK’s most popular character, Scorpion. He’ll no doubt be in and was probably one of the first characters made given his popularity among the fans and development crew. It’s just a little surprising that he’s not in this trailer while Reptile and Sektor are featured.
Stay tuned for E3 next week, when we’ll surely learn lots more about the game.